A few things I’ve been into lately:
1. ROBOCOP arcade game (1987) playthrough:
2. Making of ROBOCOP documentary
3. Siouxie and the Banshees on the BBC
4. Evel Knievel getting roasted by Dean Martin and friends in 1975: (yes, that’s Barry Goldwater)
5. A typical episode of THE GONG SHOW (RIP Chuck Barris)
6. An intimate look at the BATTLEZONE arcade cabinet:
I also have a link about the BATTLEZONE to Bradley Trainer urban legend (which has a grain of truth.)
7. RUSH ‘N ATTACK playthrough
8. Abandoned Soviet-era military bases:
9. Soviet Space Shuttles in Kazhakstan.
This is all valuable research and not just goofing around, I promise. Most notably for THE FUTURE AMERICA’s new plan, that being three 48-page one-shot issues. These three stories (NIGHT EAGLES, CRIMEBOT 3000 and THE SHOE) all will act as a lead-in to the main series. Writing these now, at least the first one in full, so that work can start on it.
That’s been most of what’s going on in the last week or so, honestly. I thought about spending this time to rail against whatever, or speak in favor of whatever, but I thought about it for awhile and decided not to. As a cultural critic, well, it’s occurred to me that the best thing I could do is write what I want to write and let other people worry about it. They can argue whatever they want by stripping away context and using a singular to prove a universal. I’m done with that game. Though there are lots of people who can work out a living, or a supplemental living, doing just that. Another voice doing the same thing is precisely not what is needed right now. Different and new work is needed, however. And while I’m working from obvious (and in many cases, plainly stated) influences and antecedents, always try to do something new with it.
Yes, I realize this makes me part of the problem. Have been for a long time.
Back to the future that didn’t happen. See you in a week or so.